Oscars 2007: Jennifer Hudson’s stylist fight and other news
Jennifer Hudson was reportedly caught in the middle of a war between two stylists - Vogue editor Andre Leon Talley and stylist Jessica Paster - ahead of her appearance on the Oscars red carpet on Sunday.
A source told the New York Post’s Page Six: “Jennifer was kind of sponsored by Talley and Vogue. Andre insisted she wear that hideous Oscar De La Renta dress with the awful, awful gold python bolero. Jennifer really didn’t want to, and so Jessica Paster got her a beautiful gold Roberto Cavalli [gown] custom-made. But when Andre found out, he went ballistic.”
“Moments before she left for the show, there was a power struggle and Jennifer ended up putting his outfit on.”
Jennifer changed into the gold dress for the winners photo session and for the after-show parties. She admitted on Today yesterday that she would have selected a different red carpet outfit if she’d had the choice.
Other Oscars news:
- Helen Mirren has revealed she stole two cushions from the Miramax pre-Oscar party last week. The pillows feature pop-art style images of the various nominees for the Best Actress trophy and she told USA Today: “I love them! They had the same pillows at the party at BAFTA in London, and I was blown away. I took one of mine. They also had a wonderful pillow of Penelope Cruz’s face, and I have to say I took one of those home too!”
- And speaking of Helen, she received a round of applause from onlookers when she arrived back at Heathrow airport yesterday. An onlooker at the airport reports: “Everyone burst into spontaneous applause when she passed through. It was incredible and she looked really touched by it.” Helen spent 20 minutes signing autographs and posing for photos as she waited for her luggage, and said regarding the applause: “I’ve just had the most incredible welcome to my country. It’s very, very sweet.”
- Nicole Kidman and ex-husband Tom Cruise finally had the chance to introduce their new spouses to each other at the Post-Oscars Vanity Fair party on Sunday. The foursome spent 20 minutes in “animated conversation” while being watched closely by the other party-goers. The event was Keith Urban’s first major outing since leaving rehab last month.
- Sean ‘Diddy‘ Combs is being investigated by Los Angeles police after a man has claimed Diddy punched him at a post-Oscars party at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles on Sunday night. Gerard Rechnitzer claims Diddy hit him in the jaw after he objected to Diddy’s attempts to chat up Gerard’s fiancee and invite her to a private party. When Gerard stepped in, he claims Diddy hit him then fled the scene with his entourage.
- Best Supporting Actress winner Jennifer Hudson has revealed she’s amazed that her Dreamgirls co-star Eddie Murphy didn’t win the Best Supporting Actor trophy and it made her more nervous about whether she’d take home the award herself. She explained yesterday: “I was very, very shocked [he didn’t win]. Very shocked. And of course that made everybody nervous. We were all like ‘Uh-oh. Oh, God.’ You know, but he’s still a winner.” Eddie reportedly stormed out of the event after losing out on the trophy to Alan Arkin.