Anna Nicole Smith died of an accidental overdoes, confirms coroner
Anna Nicole Smith died as a result of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, the medical examiner in charge of her case has said today.
Dr Joshua Perper, the medical examiner for Broward County in Florida where Anna Nicole died last month, held a joint press conference with Seminole Police chief Charlie Tiger earlier today to announce the news.
Perper noted that Anna Nicole had taken a number of drugs, including methadone, chloral hydrate (a sedative), anti-anxiety & depression medication, Valium, Ativan (a benzodiazepine) and antihistamines but that there was no evidence of illegal drugs. He believes the death resulted from an accidental combination and not a suicide attempt as none of the drugs by themselves would have been enough to kill her.
He added that one injection of drugs into Anna Nicole’s left buttock had perforated an abscess, leading to an infection-related high fever which was attributed to stomach flu during the days running up to her death. Her temperature reportedly raised as high as 105 degrees but she refused to go to hospital.
Police Chief Tiger confirmed the police investigation “found nothing to indicate any foul play” and no one would be charged in relation to the death: “We did not find any evidence that would point to homicide. We did not find any fact … which could raise credible suspicion of homicide.”
Perper had already ruled out “any kind of physical injuries, such as blunt-forced trauma, gunshot wound, stab wounds or asphyxia” when he carried out Anna Nicole’s autopsy over a month ago but then had to wait for additional tests - and police investigations - to be carried out before confirming his final verdict today.