Heath LedgerAs rumours swirl about Heath Ledger’s drug use in the aftermath of his death on Tuesday, Naomi Campbell’s former assistant has claimed she indulged in cocaine binges with the actor and supermodel.

Rebecca White worked for Naomi between 2001 and 2004 and she told the Sun: “When I was working for Naomi I saw Heath do drugs a few times. He was new on the scene but everybody was hailing him as the new It Boy actor.”

“We had been hanging in Naomi’s bungalow at the Bel Air Hotel. Heath asked Naomi if she had any cocaine - I used to carry it around for her - and I remember giving him the packet and he went off, back and forth throughout the night.”

She admits to later buying cocaine for the Brokeback Mountain star: “Each time I got an eight ball - four-and-a-half grams. The second time he came up all three of us spent a night doing coke in her bungalow. It was quite decadent. We were there for five or six hours.”

“We all went to Paris for another fashion party a couple of weeks later. We went to one of [P Diddy]’s parties at this club. There was coke and a big bag of ecstasy pills.”

“Naomi gave Heath a handful of these little blue pills and I remember him putting them all in his mouth at once and swigging a bottle of Cristal Champagne.”

Rebecca added that she believes his drug use drove a wedge between him and Michelle Williams: “Heath wanted to be a family man. He adored his daughter. But his partying was a problem. Michelle felt very uncomfortable with it and dropped him out of her life.”

Michelle was filming in Sweden when Heath’s body was found in his Soho apartment on Tuesday afternoon. She and daughter Matilda arrived back in New York yesterday to be comforted by family and friends ahead of the funeral, believed to be taking place early next week.

Early morning walks

As well as taking sleeping tablets to help his insomnia, a source has revealed the late actor took early morning strolls around Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village.

Tony Rivera, who used to walk his dog around the same time, told People magazine: “[Heath] would walk early in the morning - around 6:30am or 7am because, he said, he always had trouble sleeping. That’s why he’d come out so early in the morning.”

Tony added that Heath was well-known to the park locals and frequently watch or play chess, and chat - but his main topic of conversation was one repeated complaint: “He’d say, ‘I’m very tired’ and he looked it.”

Last conversation

The director of Heath’s 2002 film The Four Feathers has said he may have participated in Heath’s last conversation.

Shekhar Kapur called Heath late on Monday evening with the hope of meeting up: “Heath said he could not see me that night but really wanted to meet me the next day.”

“He made me promise that I would call him in the morning and wake him up. I tried. Little did I know that his soul had already left his body.”

“In Heath, I have lost a younger brother. He was gentle, and caring.”