Paul McCartney pulls out of divorce settlement
The former couple spent all last week discussing the case behind closed doors at the Royal Courts of Justice in London and an agreement worth £60million for Heather is said to have been made at the last minute on Friday. Both parties were left to consider the settlement over the weekend before a hearing to finalise the document on Monday - and according to sources close to the case, Paul’s legal counsel advised him to reject the proposal.
An inside source told the Daily Mail: “Paul pulled the plug very late in the day. Heather is devastated.”
“Paul was going along with everything all last week. But over the week he was becoming gradually more disillusioned by what was being agreed.”
“It was he who pulled the plug. Heather was desperate to settle and had been convinced they had been in total agreement - right up until she arrived at court.”
“Paul is the one with the fabulously successful legal team and Heather has been working on her wits alone. For them to pull off a stunt like this, they must think they are in a strong position.”
“They spent all week in court and Heather perhaps unwittingly spent the week showing her hand. His team basically now know the worst of what she can throw at him in court. They smoked out the worst she had.”
“They are pulling the plug on it because they think the judge may well agree Heather deserves less than the £55million.”
“[They] clearly think it’s a risk worth taking. And if Paul gets a lower settlement and Heather does win the right to appeal, they now know the worst of what she can throw at them is not much more than has become public anyway.”
The judge overseeing the case, Judge Hugh Bennett, is now expected to spend several weeks working out the details of the settlement.